Thursday, July 28, 2011

Due to transition crisis…

… we are headed out of town. Last night at church (oh yeah, I’m back in Young Womens) Little E punched another kid. Fantastic. Now of course, he was quickly remorseful and full of sorrow and self-flagellation(because that’s how Little E rolls) and he very soon dissolved into tears. We ended up discussing how he feels that he’s meeting new people too quickly and how he wished he could just meet new people only a handful at a time and not all at once. Then he ended by telling me that he really just wants to see his cousins. Now, for that comment about the cousins to make sense, you have to understand that Sylvia’s kids have been my children's constants through all the moves. My children’s lifelong friends. And every time I move somewhere new, I crave the comfort of old friends- and understandably, so does Little Ernie. Which explains why we are getting in the car on Monday morning and driving to Atlanta for the week. We will stay at Sylvia’s new house, have a blast swimming in her pool, and celebrate Nigel’s 9th birthday 2 1/2 weeks early- so he can have a party with his cousins. (A birthday party here would be a bit of a downer, given that we don’t know anyone to invite besides ourselves). It sounds like fun to me!

Here’s a snippet of the conversation I had with Emmaline tonight:

Emmaline: I can’t believe that the people who lived here before us were in this house for 10 years! That’s a long time!

Me: I know. We sure have lived in a lot of houses, haven’t we?

Emmaline: We have. Mom, I think that we are a Traveling Family.

I like it. We’re a Traveling Family. (Who hopefully won’t be moving again anytime soon.)

4 comments:

stalker sarah said...

Awww.....that breaks my heart! But being a traveling family is pretty darn awesome! :) Have fun in Atlanta! I don't blame you for going! Miss you!!!

Sarah said...

I hope you have a great trip! I hope your kids will adjust to their new home soon. :)

Larry said...

"On the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is making music with my friends
And I can't wait to get on the road again",,,Enjoy!

Miriam said...

Hi Rebecca,
Ya'll are missed already! Good luck in young women's! So sorry to hear the kids are having a hard time, tell them the Arroyo's said Hello and to hang in there
Love, Miriam