Saturday, July 9, 2011

Who’s up for another move? Anyone?

Hello Medina, Tennessee! Good-bye Hattiesburg, Mississippi (*sob*). And we’re off again on another Smith Team Adventure.

The kids are taking it well enough, I suppose. Let me illustrate:

  • Max sat next to me this morning while I repaired a piece of hardwood flooring and then after 15 minutes he quietly announced to me that he had just pooped his pants. (really??? this child never pooped his pants when he was potty training, not even once!)
  • And Emmaline only has one volume: Banshee. Because if she isn’t silent, she’s screeching.
  • And Nigel can’t figure out where his shoes are, ever. (Oh wait, that has nothing to do with moving- that’s just normal.)
  • And Ernie has been overheard yelling at Max, when he is normally patient.

And I am certainly more quick-tempered than I usually am.

However, despite all the stress of being uprooted one.more.time.- the kids are happy. They are excited about our new house- which is on 5 acres!

New House2

And the neighbors are really nice and the schools are close. (No school uniforms! Hooray!) And My Ernie is really happy at work, which is vitally important.

I have grieved long and hard about this move- which is a new thing for me. In the past I’ve jumped in with both feet and never really looked back- but this time I feel like maybe I might be looking back a little too much and I’ll be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot’s wife. I don’t know yet why exactly this move is harder for me, because I’ve always loved all the places I’ve lived and every time I’ve been sad to leave all the wonderful people that I’ve met. But just the same, I’ll jump in as best I can when I get to our new home and I’ll follow my time-tested rules for moving to a new location:

1. Move to a new place
2. Meet the neighbors, who may or may not be pleased that 4 small children just moved in next door.
3. Go to church.
4. Realize that your only friend for the next few months will be Ernie.
5. Show up to EVERYTHING. From the primary activity to the Relief Society activity that you're not at all interested in, to the Elder's Quorum service project.
6. Accept every playdate and girl's night invite.
7. Always smile and pretend like you're happy, even if you're not. No one wants to be friends with a sad sack.
8. Gradually introduce people to your sense of humor and view of the world.
9.Know that the people who's faces all blend together will become some of your best friends in the world.
10. Feel gratitude for old friends. The ones who know everything already and who understand everything without needing an explanation.

The movers will be here on Tuesday to pack up the house- which is still a wonder to me as it all takes place. This will be our 5th move and it is still incredible to me to watch my entire house be disassembled in the span of 8 or 9 hours. I will probably cry a few more times and then I will get over it and be happy because Ernie and I will be together again and life is always beautiful when he and I are together.

2 comments:

stalker sarah said...

But you guys are so awesome and EVERYBODY loves you EVERYWHERE you go! :) I love the house! Hope everything goes smoothly! Miss you guys!

Larry said...

You've mastered the secrets of successful moving: faith, family, friends, and fun! That's how we survived 17 moves to 11 different assignments around the world (we lived in up to 3 houses at one location, hence more moves than assignments). Your new ward, neighborhood, and community will be blessed to have you and your family there!