Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dinner without Dad

Ernie’s at a business dinner tonight. I knew all day that he wouldn’t be home for dinner tonight and I planned accordingly. (i.e., I happily did nothing!)

Tonight my friend called at 5:45 pm and hastily said, “I’m so sorry! I hope I didn’t interrupt dinner!”

To which I happily replied, “Not at all, Ernie’s not home and I’m currently washing all the windows while the kids run around in their underwear and watch Dora the Explorer.”

Ah, sweet respites.

Now, in case anyone thinks that I like my life better when Ernie isn’t home- well that just isn’t true. I think that I have sufficiently documented my complete adoration for him at length. In fact, I have been driving Ernie to work every morning since the kids started back to school 2 weeks ago, for no reason other than that we like being together. Today Ernie drove himself to work (knowing he’d be going to dinner tonight) and I’ve suffered “Ernie withdrawal” all day because of it.

Just the same, it feels a little bit like a vacation to throw my strict time schedule out the window:

5:00pm- Set the table

5:30pm- finish up cooking dinner

5:45pm- call Ernie and find out why he isn’t home yet

6:00pm- Family dinnertime

6:45pm- kitchen clean-up

7:15- start the bedtime process

I don’t actually follow this schedule every night- even though I tell myself I’m supposed to- and on the nights that I don’t, I am racked with guilt over not providing the set table, full dinner, spotless kitchen, etc. (because I provided cold cereal, ramen, or McDonald’s instead).

Ernie going to dinner tonight saves me from being a slave to the schedule and at the same time liberates me from the guilt of not actually following said schedule.

It’s a fabulous win-win. Especially because I know that tomorrow night he’ll be home for dinner.

4 comments:

Trina Barry said...

I share your sentaments when the hubby's gone. It's so bittersweet.

stalker sarah said...

Yeah, I'm having some issues with dinner since Billy isn't home anymore during the week! Blake just isn't getting fed all those wonderfully planned out meals! Oh well! Things will change soon enough! Enjoy your night off! :)

melanie said...

"5:45- call Ernie and find out why he's not home yet"
HAHAHAHA That made me laugh! :) Glad to know i'm not the only one that does that! Glad you enjoyed the break!

Nikki Painter said...

sometimes we do ice cream for dinner. I pretty much lost all my guilty feelings after starting that. love reading your blog!