Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sand Hill, Mississippi

Ernie was on assignment today to speak in the Sand Hill Branch and he took me along as his “youth speaker”. So we got up early, loaded the kids in the car and headed out for the hour and a half drive to the Sand Hill building, which is located out in the country- just outside of a small town called Richton, Mississippi: population 1,038.

The church there is small and they don’t have primary or young men or young womens since the congregation is comprised of only senior citizens. They do have a primary president who is ready to set things up at the last minute, just in case someone brings their grandchildren to church with them. I counted today and there were 19 people there, not including us. So our family bumped the attendance up to 25.

It was one of the best Sundays ever. I’m not sure if it was being in a room full of grandparents and having them be so excited to have us there (I felt like everyone’s favorite daughter!) or if it was because we were simply in the right place today- but Ernie and I both commented on what a special experience it was.

I spoke about the parable of the Good Samaritan and Ernie talked about Unity.

And of course, since this seems to be a Mississippi phenomenon- I had to photograph their LDS cemetery.

Here’s the picture I took from our spot in the parking lot:

IMAG0036 

And here’s one where you can see a corner of the very small building where they met:

IMAG0037

3 comments:

Trina Barry said...

What a special experience!

Diane said...

I think a small ward is really nice. South Tahoe ward was one of the best wards we've been in.

Doreen said...

Did you stay for Primary? The building made me think of the one in Powell, TN.