Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Baptism Story

Nigel was baptized on Sunday and it was an absolutely fabulous day! Nonny and Poppy (my mom and dad) and Grandma and Pappou (Ernie’s mom and dad) drove down from Atlanta to join in the festivities. Sylvia and her kids thought that they were coming, until Sylvia found lice- that most dreaded public school pest- in Lilly’s hair. And so Sylvia stayed home, which was really and truly ok with me.

Sunday was a tender day. Because it was fast and testimony meeting, earlier in the day at church both Ernie and Nigel bore their testimonies for the first time in public. Ernie was incredibly sweet and sincere and he spoke about how happy he was that Nigel was getting baptized and then he shared how much he loved Nigel and all the things that he liked about Nigel (Nigel’s great imagination and sense of humor). Nigel bore a very sweet testimony and spoke about how he was going to be baptized and how he knew he was “always going to be good and do the right thing”. It was certainly a testimony full of hope!

I was worried before this weekend arrived that I would be spending my whole weekend cooking, cleaning, setting up, and taking down and that I wouldn’t be able to fully relax and enjoy this most special event. I am thrilled to report that this was not the case at all. I let the Walmart bakery handle the baptism goodies- which relieved a lot of stress and I cleaned the house some, but not perfectly (it was, in my opinion, perfectly adequate). The meals weren’t stressful and my dad was sweet enough to take me and Ernie out to dinner the first night that he and mom were in town so that I wouldn’t have to cook.

Lastly, I did not prepare a talk for Nigel’s baptism like I had initially planned. I assigned that particular task to Little Ernie (talk on baptism) and Maytha (talk on the Holy Ghost). My dad said the opening prayer and Emmaline said the closing prayer. My mom played the piano and I led the music.

Little Ernie loves to give talks, so he was thrilled at the prospect of speaking at Nigel’s baptism. He wrote a wonderful talk that he ended up leaving on the kitchen table at home, and when we got over to the church he was so mad about forgetting his talk, he really, really didn’t want to participate anymore. Dean Nickens conducted the baptism and when Dean announced Ernie’s talk, Ernie muttered under his breath (very loudly) “Oh, Man!” At that point I got up and Ernie very grudgingly got up with me. I invited him to speak, but he mostly just stood there stone-faced (which was so unintentionally funny, all the adults were giggling) and I gave his talk for him. He did read one passage of scripture and he announced that at his baptism he felt like he’d been “wrapped in a warm blanket”- but all of that was said in a frustrated, pre-teen tone of voice. (It was like pulling teeth). The very best part was that when he sat down he turned to his Grandma and actually complained that “she (meaning me) stole my whole talk!!” (As if I had somehow denied him the opportunity!) Maytha’s talk on the Holy Ghost was great and Nigel paid attention to the whole thing- which is a big deal since Nigel is very easily distracted.

The actual baptism was quick and perfect on the very first time. My dad and Big Ernie were the witnesses. I only type that because there is significance in this. Big Ernie has not been active in church for almost 30 years and he started attending church again about 2 years ago. This is the first time he has ever participated in any church thing related to the grandchildren (besides just showing up). He even wore a white shirt and a tie. He also stood in the circle for Nigel’s confirmation. Definitely a first for that one.

The baptism program was short and sweet- start to finish 40 minutes. Just the way I like it!

All in all, Nigel had a wonderful experience and think that his Baptism day will stay with him for the rest of his life. At least I hope it will. His Baptism Day certainly meant a lot to me and it’s a day that I will definitely cherish and look back on with a soft heart.

3 comments:

Doreen said...

It truly was a wonderful day! It was obvious that Nigel was filled with the Spirit - that manifestation of sweetness and hope!

Larry said...

What a blessing for all involved!

amyraye said...

while i'm thrilled for nigel, i can't get sylvia's fate out of my mind. i'm so sorry.