Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Who wants to be a Cowgirl?

Emmaline has a new hero (and it’s not me).

At school today Emmaline had the privilege to stand in line for a personally autographed picture of “Miss Mississippi High School Rodeo 2010” Mary Catherine Reynolds. Emmaline was BEYOND impressed. She carefully folded the autographed picture multiple times for safe keeping and when her friend on the bus tore it, she protected it until she could lovingly tape it back together as soon as she got home.

She hung it on her bulletin board, where only her most prizes possessions go. Emmaline complimented me by telling me that my “teeth are almost as white as the lady’s teeth in the picture!”- “they’re only a little darker”.

I have mixed feelings about her idealization of a pageant princess (albeit a cowgirl princess). I have issues with pageants in general and (in my opinion) their objectification of women- but after thinking about it, I think that this girl today probably just looked like a real life Barbie doll to Emmaline and that it’s probably not a sign of a Emmaline’s future pageant career.

Miss Rodeo

3 comments:

Diane said...

My guess is that Emmaline is more impressed with the personally autographed photo than the cowgirl herself. But she is really pretty and does look a lot like a Barbie doll!

Sarah said...

I don't like pageants either, but I'll give her points for quoting scripture. :-D

Ernie said...

The followup story on our trip to the rodeo where this young lady rode is here:

http://amongstamericana.blogspot.com/2010/10/well-this-is-my-first-rodeo.html