Sunday, November 28, 2010

21 Days

Ernie IV has been introduced to the concept of “21 Days”. As in, it takes 21 days to make a habit.

I think this concept has struck such significant a chord with him because he is a child who craves order and structure and routine. When he was a baby, and even a toddler, I could tell you his schedule down to the half hour- he was that predictable. Naturally, this predictability would mean that any interruption to the schedule would guarantee a melt down.

Now Ernie’s grown up and he’s 10. He’s developed a great deal of self control, but he still craves order, predictability, and routine.

Back to the 21 Days. Every single thing he’s heard at church or at home today- that he likes- he’s said, “I’m going to do that for 21 days!”

Just now I heard him in his room shouting at his siblings, “Let’s not fight for 21 days so we can make a habit of not fighting!”

And I thought, “If only…”

No comments: