Friday, July 16, 2010

Being a Grown-Up

This afternoon, since I have had the good fortune to be called into the new Relief Society Presidency as a counselor. Again. For the third time in a row. (I’m starting to think that the Lord has been trying to teach me something and I apparently have not learned it yet). I had the privilege, with the other sisters in our presidency, to make sure that dinner happened tonight at the stake center for Youth Conference. Dinner was from 5-6pm, followed immediately after by a dance.

So as I was cleaning up dishes in the kitchen, chatting with the grown-ups, shooing scared 14 year old boys out of the kitchen and telling all the overly helpful girls who weren’t being asked to dance that, no, in fact we did not need their help- someone made the comment that they missed being a youth.

Not me. No way, no how. I loved being a teenager, and I LOVED youth conference when it was my time to be there. But I love being a grown up more. When I was a teenager, I hated not knowing for sure what I was going to be or do when I grew up. I’ve never really liked uncertainty and I’m really not great at just drifting, so sometimes being a teenager stressed me out. I am a plan oriented girl. I can promise you this- if there is no plan, I will make one. [Luckily for me I am married to a man who generally tolerates this about me.]

Right now I am happy to be 34 years old. I loved being 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18- but I love being 34 more. And when I’m 40, 45, and 50- I will love that so much more than being 34, because quite truthfully, I like to grow up.

3 comments:

Trina Barry said...

I'm with you on that! I like to have everything planned just so, it stresses me out not knowing where things are going. Sounds like you had a wonderful night, full of service, and chatting of course. Congrats on you're new calling! I'm guessing you've been called again to that position, because you're good at it! :)

Doreen said...

When I was first in Relief Society there was a lesson about aging. The gist was, would you rather be at the bottom of the hill looking up (youth) or at the top of the mountain with all the experience and wisdom you have gained. The farther up the mountain I get, the higher the mountain seems to be!

amyraye said...

totally and completely agree. education counselor (yay!) again or enrichment (sorry)?