Monday, July 19, 2010

Best. Book. Ever.

I just finished 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families and now I am feeling evangelical about it. I want to push this book on everyone I know. (The last time I felt this way was when I read Twilight- but that was for very different reasons).

7 habits cover

Steven Covey wrote a completely inspired and insightful guide to families and the book covered every single topic I’ve been worrying over. It was seriously like all the thoughts and ideas that have been swirling around in my head- plus a bunch that hadn’t occurred to me- were all in this book in a cohesive fashion, with guidelines for implementation. Absolutely invaluable to me.

A sampling of the things that I learned:

  • Having regular focused one-on-one time with each of your children will significantly reduce sibling rivalry
  • Almost all children already know what is right and what is wrong- they just haven’t made up their mind yet to do the right thing.
  • You cannot have a productive difficult conversation (corrective or negative feedback) without having a strong positive relationship already established.
  • To give myself a pause button before I respond in a stressful situation

I’ve seriously just started my study. I’m sure that I’ll learn much more when I go back and read it again.

Read it- if you haven’t read it already. I’m going to keep pushing it on you until you do :)

3 comments:

Larry said...

Agree--an insightful, gospel-rooted approach to family living. Used to reference it in soldier retreats.

Trina Barry said...

Funny, I bought a bookshelf on Saturday for some books that I've had stored forever, and I happened to have stumbled across this book. I guess it's time to read it.

amyraye said...

i actually just brought this book up out of storage a couple weeks ago. it is at my bedside. it must be time.