Saturday, July 24, 2010

Figs and Blueberries

Ernie scheduled his upcoming staff training at one of my favorite places here in Mississippi: Mitchell Farms. Since Ernie had never actually been there- he needed to drive over and check the place out. We, of course, went with him.

And when we got there I discovered that the fruit I have literally been waiting to eat my entire life was there, with buckets for pick your own! Yes folks, today I ate my first fresh fig and it was succulent and delicious! We picked figs along with the kids and filled a gallon bucket (which cost us $5).

Then we explored the rest of the farm while we waited for the owner to show Ernie a few things.

DSC_0179

Nigel, Emma and the goat

Max on the tractor

DSC_0238

 DSC_0198

And then this afternoon- not wanting to waste any of the amazing figs, I promptly made fig preserves and some more blueberry jam since I had the canner out.

canned goods

5 comments:

Larry said...

You are the queen of self-reliance!

Doreen said...

I love-love-love fresh figs! Mama has a tree that is ripe in July. I got a couple this trip but most were not quite ready yet.

melanie said...

Barry also loves fresh figs! he was so excited when he discovered that our little townhome in Augusta came with a fig tree in the backyard! :) He was sad to say goodbye when we moved!

Kitty Smith said...

That farm looks so fun! I wish we could have gone with you guys!

Arla said...

When I was in California a few years ago I picked fresh summer warmed figs off Mama's trees then she and I would sit at her dining room table talking. I loved it!

I've had fresh figs since then, but the ones off those trees are the best so far!