Wednesday, July 7, 2010

BFFs

A little over 15 years ago I moved to Athens, Georgia and showed up one night at Institute. There was a pretty girl there named Kitty Smith and someone told me that she was looking for a roommate for the summer. So I called her up the next day and we talked like we had known each other our whole lives. We ended up rooming together that summer and then for the entire rest of the time that we were in Athens together.

Kitty is the definition of a “kindred spirit”. Despite her initial upset and concern that her older brother was stealing her best friend, it’s turned out to be the very best blessing in the world to have your best friend turn into your sister in law. We got married 6 weeks apart and we had our first children 6 weeks apart. There have been babies and husbands and travel and moves that at times have sometimes prevented us from seeing each other more than once a year. But despite that, the relationship is solid. Each time we are together, we fall back into patterns and behaviors that have distilled and aged well over time.

It’s delightful to me to spend time with Kitty’s kids and to love them too. I love that my kids adore her and want her around. I love when she visits and does my laundry. I love being able to talk about anything and everything with her and to feel like I am understood.

Ernie and I are starting to consider (I’m still in disbelief as I type this) training for a triathlon (sprint length). Kitty, who recently ran her very first tri, is so excited and wants to do it with us. I love that!

The happy news for me is that Kitty found out last week that her current visit home to the States is now permanent, since her husband just received notice that he is being transferred out of China, and now she is gearing up for a fast international move (with 3 kids, 2 pets, and 1 husband in tow) and anticipating life in Tampa, Florida. I’m just so happy that she will be a quick plane ride away. 

DSC_4051

3 comments:

stalker sarah said...

That is so awesome! I love that story! It must be great to be best friends AND sisters-in-law! Love the photo, too! :)

Betina said...

Triathalon! You can do it!!!!

Kitty Smith said...

A whole blog about me! I love it! And, I love you just as much as you love me! Wohoo for BFFs!