Thursday, June 10, 2010

Definitely half empty

I woke up last night at 3am and at 3:30am, when sleep still proved elusive, I grabbed the phone and called Kitty in China. Because hey, a 12 hour time difference better be good for something! I enjoyed having a nice long chat with Kit and then I decided that since sleep wouldn’t be happening I might as well get up.

Which is how I ended up deciding that I might as well do the bills. (Flat out depressing in the middle of the night.) Which led to pondering the new appliance in my kitchen and the likelihood of other appliances starting to die which led to me deciding that maybe it was time for me to see if I could find a little work from home to pad the budget a bit. Back in Kentucky I had a really delightful contract job working as a genealogy researcher for MyGenealogist.com. I worked 10-15 hours a week and did research at the State Archives and got super handy with viewing microfilm. The pay was especially helpful when Ernie’s salary was reduced due to the economy and I found out that I really enjoyed genealogy.

Because of these middle of the night musings, at 10 o’clock this morning I sat down and took a look at my resume. It was nothing short of depressing. I haven’t worked since September of 2008, my bachelor’s degree is starting to look dated, and how do you prove your competency to someone else when you have no way to demonstrate it, besides a mortgage and 4 kids?  That reflection made me feel helpless and a useless to anyone outside of my own home. (Dramatic, I know- but I was tired, and that always makes things worse).

I’m not going to lie, the lack of sleep plus the resume review put me in a frame of mind to crawl back into bed and stay there all day. I am absolutely a glass is half full person 99% of the time (in fact I am bouncing back as I type this). But every once in awhile, I have to wallow in my misery for a bit and have myself a good pity party. Thank goodness the kids were understanding and that my Ernie will be home in the morning.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm looking at the same scenario. I haven't worked for over 10 years and the last time I did, I was too sick to continue after only two weeks with a temp service.

But you can add volunteer work to your resume. What have you done with church callings that have given you experience? I want to apply to a music school and they prefer a degree for their teachers, but they will train someone they believe in. So I can add things that relate to my music callings. I have been the choir pianist, primary pianist, primary chorister, music chairman, etc., so I could probably give church members as references who have worked with me in those callings.

Also, have you worked in your PTA at all? That could be helpful. I think there are a lot of people who understand the value of staying home with your kids for years and that we don't become morons during that time. :) If there is a job you are interested in, I would be happy to help you with a cover letter. I found great tips through Provident Living and my husband was chosen out of 153 candidates. I think the cover letter hooked them and he does great in interviews. I also have a brother-in-law who is a recruiter and gave awesome interview tips.

Liney said...

Rebecca!!

You are the best and I look up to you so much. You set such a great example to everyone you meet especially your kids!! You have made such an impact in my life!!

I love you

Caroline

Diane said...

Two years is nothing. Try 15 years. After many, many versions, just today I completed yet another revision. I'm going to email it to you because I do use my volunteer experience as Sarah mentioned. Call me, we can commiserate together!