Monday, March 15, 2010

Dear Mississippi

Dear Mississippi,

Thank you for Hattiesburg- it’s a lovely place to live. And thank you for delicious BBQ that can be purchased at any gas station in town (Rose’s being a personal favorite). Truly delicious, although not so good for the waistline. Thank you for a slower pace of life and mild winters. Thanks so much for having a coastline! It’s delightful to visit the beach whenever we want to. Thank you for Southern Hospitality in the form of neighbors who wave and are genuinely welcoming (evidenced once again by the neighbor today who told me that we were welcome to use their pool whenever we wanted this summer). Thanks for letting me know that it’s okay to monogram everything, showing me that ribbon makes everything better, and that I should always bring a “happy” when I go visiting.

On a more personal note, thanks for letting me breathe a sigh of relief. I realize that Mississippi is not for everyone, but it’s exactly what I needed right now and when I got here I felt like I could exhale for the first time in awhile. Thanks for offering Ernie a job that makes him happy. Thanks for good families and love and support at church.

Thanks for beautiful farmland and allowing my kids to experience a sampling of rural life. Chickens and fresh eggs, honey from rural hives, farm gardens. Running outside and playing in giant dirt piles.

Thank you for providing a culture that supports families and community ties and encourages religion and charitable service.

We probably won’t be here forever, but the Magnolia State will always be a part of us and I intend to soak you in as much as I can while we’re here. Mississippi- I love you.

Sincerely,

Rebecca

3 comments:

Kitty Smith said...

Now I want to move to Mississippi! I do love the Gulf Coast and the South and am practically salivating at the thought of getting back. I am so happy that you are so happy! Love, love the laid back way of life! Enjoy it for me too, ok?

Clay and Lisa said...

Oh, so inviting it sounds wonderful. I really should add to my list of places to live. My experience has been the places I absolutely love we do not stay at very long. I just need to really love everything about Kentucky. It is such a beautiful place.

Jenny said...

I L.O.V.E. Mississippi too!!! We are happy you are here!