Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dirt Cheap Day

Something happened this morning that hasn’t happened since before Christmas. All of the kids got up on time, ate breakfast, got dressed without complaint, and rode the bus to school. Since I didn’t have to drive them, I felt like I’d been given an extra hour in my day- which is pretty much exactly what happened!

Max and I ran out about 9am to pick up three things from Dollar General and 4 hours later we made it back to the house. While I was at Dollar General, picking up bleach to bleach a water stain out of the kitchen ceiling, I noticed this lovely blue pitcher:

pitcher

So, I put it in the cart and picked up another one in celadon green. I love little finds like that! But that little find got me thinking that it might be a good day to head over to Dirt Cheap and look for some new cloth shower curtains to use as tablecloths. What’s Dirt Cheap, you ask? Well, it’s this fabulous store here in Mississippi that sells all sorts of things that have been salvaged out by Walmart, Target, Land’s End (I got a pair of Land’s End tennis shoes for $3 last fall), and other stores. I saw a lot of Lillian Vernon stuff there today. Anyways, you usually feel the need to use a lot of hand sanitizer when you’re done, but the digging is often super worth it. I picked up two summery “tablecloths” today. They were Target shower curtains that I’d actually looked at in the store a few months ago and didn’t buy. I got them at Dirt Cheap today for $4 each.

This afternoon, after the Cub Scout pack meeting at the house, Emmaline ended up running around in her crinoline. She loves this thing! It goes under all of her homemade Sunday dresses.

Emmaline and Percy

Emmaline and Percy 2And Max just ended up in his diaper. In this picture I told him to open his eyes, so instead he opened his mouth and said, “AHHH.” Can you tell he’s witnessed a lot of strep tests?

max diaperAnd Nigel ended up crying because he couldn’t beat his level on the Xbox.

Nigel cryingAnd Ernie eventually made it to everyone’s favorite chaise, with his favorite blanket, his favorite cat, and his favorite brother named Max.

Ernie blanket

6 comments:

Doreen said...

Dirt Cheap sounds like a place to visit! With my salary going down instead of up, anything dirt cheap would be great!

Ernie said...

Great post, my darling! Cool photos, too!

The Clayburn Family said...

I was a little worried where this post was going since in St. Louis there is a place called Dirt Cheap that sells Beer and Cigs. Glad to hear that your store was different!

Sounds like my kind of store!! Glad you had a super day!

Cute pictures btw!

Larry said...

Your kids are really cute...and, I would guess, very mischievous!

Clay and Lisa said...

I have never even thought about a shower curtain for a table cloth. I love it. I never can find the table cloth that I like for the dining room table, and it has to be protected. I am going to go shopping for a shower curtain now.

Sylvia said...

I HAVE to go shopping there next time I come!