Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wait… what? You’re going out of town?

After the madness of the Cub Scout pack meeting yesterday, combined with the warming weather (and the resulting pollen count increase), I had a fantastic migraine. So last night I fed the kids dinner, kissed Ernie good-bye as he left for church, blogged, and then went to bed at 8:00pm. I was fast asleep when Ernie got home from his meetings and when he shook me gently to tell me he was home, I could hardly process it when he then said, “Oh. And I forgot to tell you that I’m going out of town tomorrow and I won’t be home until Saturday.” *sleepy* WHAT???

That’s how I ended up running laundry this morning for Ernie’s trip. It’s also how I ended up picking him up at work and then driving him to the small municipal airport so he could pick up his rental car. Max was so excited to see his Daddy in the middle of the day. When Ernie got out of the car at the airport, Max pouted and when we drove off, Max cried and cried. It reminded me of Little Ernie when he was 2 years old and Ernie was traveling full time- Little Ernie would sob every time he realized we were on the way to airport to drop off Daddy and then he’d throw a royal temper tantrum when Ernie would get out of the car.

I love how attached the kids are to their Daddy- they trust him and they love him and seeing him is the highlight of their day. One of the things that I love most about Ernie, besides his complete devotion to me, is his complete devotion to the kids. It’s wonderful :)

Ernie and the boys

2 comments:

Doreen said...

He's got so much on his mind, it really isn't surprising he forgot to tell you about going out of town. Weren't we just having a conversation this morning about husband/wife communication?

Larry said...

Hope your migraine went away.