Saturday, March 27, 2010

Mississippi Paradise

I have a deep love of gardening and that definitely includes vegetable gardening. My interest in gardening went from casual hobby to mild obsession while we lived in Indiana a few years ago. Winter in Indy starts around the end of October and the snow isn’t totally melted and gone until mid-May. Those long winters set me mildly (some years more then mildly) crazy and the thing that kept me sane was garden planning. In the evenings after the kids went to bed I diagrammed and plotted and read seed catalogues and studied gardening books. I familiarized myself with all types of bugs and studied the debate between pesticides and organic bug control. I had a small yard in Indiana and I compensated by practicing Square Foot Gardening and planting in raised beds.

Here in Mississippi my yard is 100% shady and there is no place to even attempt a garden. I’ve been fretting over this since I just don’t feel quite right not growing food in the summer. I mentioned my dilemma to my dear friend Krista and asked if she, or someone she could recommend, might have a little space for me to plant just a couple of rows. Krista said that I would be welcome to join their garden and since inviting me in, she has invited our mutual friend Fiona to join as well. I worried that Krista’s family might feel like we were taking up too much room and Krista assured me that there was no need to worry about that since Jason (her husband) could always go out and plow up some more ground. Then she walked me over to the garden spot and I could see her point. I think we’ve got plenty of room.

garden Today we all met and started the planting. We actually could have started the planting a week and half ago (Mississippi winters are definitely the opposite of Indiana winters). Today we planted lots of types of tomatoes, corn, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, basil, parsley, different types of peppers, cucumbers, and green beans. Krista and Jason already have lettuce, onions, potatoes, and carrots in the ground. Emmaline and Max and Ernie helped with the planting. Nigel thoroughly enjoyed playing in the dirt. And since I wouldn’t let Max wear his heavy coat, he insisted on wearing his snow hat to compensate.

emmaline plantingmax and tomato plants

The kids were so excited to play at Krista’s house today. It’s pretty much their version of paradise.

max and snow hatgolf cartchickens dirt pile

3 comments:

Magen said...

My dad use to do a huge summer garden when I was younger and even though be put me to work weeding and shelling peas I loved it. There really is something magical about growing your own food. And the picture of Max with his hat on really made me laugh.

amyraye said...

ok- the school bus in the background in the first picture had me laughing; so sterotypical of a southern mississippi home: having a broken-down school bus on the property! :)

and, i'm jealous of your green thumb. i'm clueless about gardening, but wish i had more desire to figure it out. what can you teach me, rebecca?

Rebecca said...

Amy- I will teach you anything you want to know about gardening:)Although that's a little bit like asking a mom to talk about her kids. I might not stop.
I feel like I should tell you though, that school bus isn't broken. Krista's uncle is a school bus driver and he parks the bus at her house at night and on the weekends.