Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Summer Plans

Summer’s coming and I’m starting to get anxious for some hot, lazy days. I’m looking forward to seeing Kitty and her kids when they come stateside and I miss Libby and Braz. I haven’t seen baby Natalie in almost a year! I really enjoyed last summer- despite the ridiculous heat.

Right now I’m waiting for this new swimsuit to arrive- thank you LL Bean for an affordable, modest, cute swimsuit!

I’ve decided no more tankinis for me. I have never shown my stomach in one (no one wants to see that) but since I don’t plan on letting Emmaline wear a tankini anytime soon- I figured I’d better not be wearing one either.

I’m looking forward to visits with family and sleeping in and spending every day at the pool.

I’m also super excited because I’ve never gardened in such a warm place, and Krista Grover has been kind enough to let me join the “family garden” at her house (since our yard is 100% shady). The last frost free date here is March 15th! Can you believe it? Seriously- tomato plants in the ground in mid-March. I’m salivating right now, just thinking about it. I’ve got grand plans for canning this summer. Did you know that blueberries grow like wildfire here? There’s an older sister at church who has so many blueberry bushes that she asks the other sisters to come in and take whatever they want in July. I’m already allotting cupboard space for blueberry jam. This year I want to try canning homegrown tomatoes- which is not difficult, I’ve just never had enough tomatoes to can. Last year, Krista said that they had 100 tomato plants! Just wait until the summer garden goes in the ground in a couple of weeks- I won’t be able to help myself from sharing every single plant and I’ll be compelled to include pictures too.

It’s already starting to get warm here, but I still feel like summer can’t come fast enough!

3 comments:

amyraye said...

way to think ahead with the swimsuit issue; you will be glad you did. it really does make a difference.

Sylvia said...

I just ordered a new one from Land's End. They always have nice modest suits. Mine is still a two piece that still covers everything. I have tried to do a one piece but I'm too long waisted and they don't cover my chest properly.

Kitty Smith said...

I can't wait to see you too! I want homegrown tomatoes... yummy. We are counting down the days until we see you guys.