Monday, April 26, 2010

Car Family Home Evening

Ernie’s still in Wisconsin and he won’t be home until Friday. So tonight we had Car Family Home Evening and we drove to the kid requested drive-thrus and then sat at the last one, ate our dinner in the car (how American) and had FHE. We started with a song and a prayer and then Little Ernie gave us our lesson. He wanted to talk about “Our Father’s Love”. He started out by saying that he wanted to tell us all a story. Here’s the story paraphrased into an approximation of his words:

One day I was in the boys bathroom, and there was a group of boys tormenting one boy. I didn’t know what to do, so I went into the bathroom stall and prayed to Heavenly Father and asked Him what I should do. Heavenly Father told me that I had to help the boy that was being bullied. I came out of the bathroom stall and I said, “Hey- stop tormenting that kid! Or I’m going to tell a teacher and I can run really fast!”

The bullies acted like they weren’t afraid and they said things like, “We don’t care!” But I could tell that they actually were scared. And the boy they were being mean to, he was really smart- because I saw his grades one time and I was like, “whoa- this kid’s really smart.” And the bullies were calling him “nerd” and saying lots of mean things and then one of them punched him in the arm. 

At this point in the story, while Ernie had everyone’s full attention- Nigel says, “Ernie, is this a true story?”

Ernie: “Nope. But I have thought a lot about what I would do if that ever happened and I was there to stop it.”

Well, good to know the kid has a plan. And a vivid imagination.

7 comments:

Ernie said...

Hilarious! I love that kid. I miss you all so much. I wish I were there with you. Kiss them all for me.

Larry said...

Little Ernie (some day he'll ask you to drop the "little") is wise beyond his years. Thanks for sharing the story--see you Sunday!

amyraye said...

hilarious. who's watching the kids on thursday/friday if your husband's gone?

Rebecca said...

Amy- a teenage girl and her mom from church are going to stay with the kids on Thursday and Friday. Ernie going out of town came up after I planned my trip!

The Clayburn Family said...

Great story! What a prepared youngster! Must have been born of goodly parents!!

Liney said...

I wish I could watch the kids.. why does NYC have to be so far away from Southern Mississippi :(

Kitty Smith said...

This was a fun story. I've gotten behind in reading your blogs. I absolutely love reading your blogs!