Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Clean Room, Clear Mind

I have been horrible at cleaning my own bedroom for pretty much my entire life. After getting married, I found that while Ernie prefers it to be clean- he is not particularly inclined to regularly pick up after himself and I’m not either. So here’s how things go when I’m cleaning the house. I clean in this order:

  1. Kitchen
  2. Living Room
  3. Dining Room (kid stuff accumulates there)
  4. Downstairs bathroom
  5. Playroom
  6. Kids Bedrooms
  7. Kids Bathrooms
  8. Laundry
  9. Master Bedroom

You may have noticed, my room is last on the list.

I cleaned my room a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of my parents visit and I’m pleased to say that it is still clean right now. A complete stranger could come over and ask to see my bedroom and I would let them! Here’s the realization that I came to. I clean all the other spaces in the house (for different motivations) first and I basically pile all the extra stuff- all the junk- in my room. 3 weeks ago I looked around and I thought, “Is this a reflection of how I feel about myself? Am I willing to take care of everything else first, but treat my space like a junkyard?” And that’s when I changed. My room won’t be perfect, to be sure, but ever since I had that thought I find myself making my bed more often and picking up daily. I love it. A clean room = a clear mind.

2 comments:

stalker sarah said...

Funny because my cleaning list is EXACTLY like yours! My room is a mess right now...I'm embarassed to say! But the rest of the house has just been cleaned like crazy! I'm now motivated to clean my own room.....tomorrow! :):)

Kitty Smith said...

How's the room cleaning thing going for you now? It's been a few weeks since you posted and I hope you are keeping up! :)