Monday, April 12, 2010

Confessions

Tonight was a night for confessions from little boys. Ernie and Nigel to be exact. Sweet things, they both had serious concerns that they really needed to share with me.

Nigel was first. Family Home Evening tonight was on testimonies. As I started the lesson, Nigel raised his hand and when I called on him, he announced that he didn’t know if he had a testimony or not. (I love his honesty and that he trusts me enough to tell me what he really thinks.) So we talked about it. We discussed what the Holy Ghost feels like, we talked about the kinds of things that the Holy Ghost can tell us. We also talked about how people lose their testimony (this was one of Nigel’s concerns). At the end, after we said the closing prayer and the kids went upstairs, Nigel confided to me that he is “trying to change his life” (his words, not mine) and that he wants to be a better person. Weighty things for a 7 year old to be thinking about.

On a completely different topic came Ernie’s confession tonight. After getting Ernie tucked in, I sat and talked to him for a little while about school and friends, etc. That’s when Ernie mentioned Olivia. He says that he’s “completely in love with her”. He also said that she is so pretty with nice eyes and long blonde hair and that he likes her blue and white shirt. Apparently today he went up to her and told her she was cute. (Bashful, Ernie is not.) Ernie and his friend Ashton both like Olivia and so Ernie and Ashton decided to tell Olivia that at recess they are going to have a wrestling match- the winner of the match will “get the girl”. It hasn’t happened yet, but I’m curious how this wrestling match will turn out. I also decided that the conversation about Olivia having her own opinion and the foolishness of boys trying to make her choice for her and a wrestling match not being the best way to get the girl could wait for another day.

2 comments:

Larry said...

Wow, that brings back memories when I was Ernie's age and was sweet on Joann and she on me. She demonstrated her love for me by zipping into the boys' bathroom and back again. Ain't love grand?

stalker sarah said...

I LOVE that!!! Blake has had several crushes already, too! They start so young! Your kiddos crack me up! Oh, and thanks for the comments on my blog! Miss you guys so much!!!