Saturday, April 17, 2010

We will never forget

I gave the announcements in Relief Society last Sunday, so it was my responsibility to announce that SPC Anthony Blount, husband of Amanda Brackman Blount was killed in Iraq. Amanda and her husband haven’t been married all that long and to make the story even sadder, she is 8 months pregnant with their first baby.

The funeral was today. The local paper posted the funeral route, so our Cub Scout and Boy Scout troops stood on the side of the road to hold flags and salute as the funeral procession passed us on it’s way to the church. Ernie is at work today, so I took all the kids.

One interesting thing about the procession was that the grieving family invited the Patriot Guard to attend the funeral. It was incredible and touching to see so many bikers participating in the procession. Neighbors put out flags and posted signs to show their love, support, and gratitude to this soldier and his family. The local fire department, emergency personnel, and sheriffs from the surrounding counties either rode in the procession or parked their vehicles along the route to show their respect.

DSC_7515 DSC_7537DSC_7563DSC_7578DSC_7590DSC_7597DSC_7620DSC_7629DSC_7647DSC_7649

6 comments:

Larry said...

A heart-rending story and very moving tribute to a fallen soldier. Please pass my sympathies on to the family and my deepest thanks for her husband's service and full measure of sacrifice. I agree--he and so many others will not be forgotten.

Anonymous said...

So very sad. What a wonderful tribute by you and your family and the community! I know your friend will never forget the kindness and support.

(I'm a friend of Sylvia's, and she pointed me to your blog.)

Arla said...

that is just so touching.

melanie said...

I remember when Barry and I had the honor of attending the funeral of a dear friend of Barry's from Athens when he was killed in Iraq 2 years ago. Sadly it was a similar story to this as his wife had given birth to their son only 1 day before his death. The outpouring of love from the community was breathtaking and so moving! And every time i think about the patriot guard, and what they do for our soldiers, it brings tears to my eyes! Everyone involved in these stories is what makes America so great! :) Thanks for sharing!

Sylvia said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. What a wonderful way to help the kids develop respect for our country and for those that serve our country.

stalker sarah said...

So sad. But a beautiful post and tribute, Rebecca.