Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hoarders

Ernie’s in Wisconsin, the kids are in bed, and I enjoyed a quiet house by folding laundry (blech) while watching TLC’s Hoarding: Buried Alive. Wow. First, let me say that this is a show that makes me feel better about my housekeeping skills. Second, I was struck by something one of the hoarders said. She apologized to her mother by saying that she was sorry that her particular mental illness had a “physical geography”. There was no way for her to hide her problem.

It occurred to me- again- that some of us have problems that are obvious to everyone around us, while others of us have problems that are known to very few- but we all have problems. I think there’s also a real world application to how the professionals help the hoarders- they work on a huge and overwhelming problem by focusing on small portions at a time. It’s giving me some good ideas for myself.

1 comment:

Larry said...

We are well familiar with this syndrome but have made no progress in helping the individual rectify their situation. It truly is a psychological/geographic problem.