Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Farewell 2009-2010

School gets out pretty early here in Mississippi and today was the last day of school. I like it because the kids finish up before the scorching weather starts and then at the end of the summer, when I’m tired and ready for them to go back to school, they head back at the beginning of August. The 2010-2011 school year starts August 6th.

My whole world changes when the kids are out of school and now, instead of thinking about homework and packing lunches, I’m thinking about chore charts and summer reading. I bought timers today and wrote each child’s name on one, that way they can keep their timer with them throughout the day and when the alarm sounds after one hour of playing video games, there is no debate about how long they’ve been playing.

I’ve ordered our family t-shirts (I will definitely post a pic when they get here), budgeted for our trip to Atlanta, and we’re heading to the library tomorrow to sign up for our summer reading materials. I think this summer is going to be one of the best! 

3 comments:

stalker sarah said...

Woo hoo! Love the summer reading program! I've got Blake signed up for all kinds of things to keep him busy this summer!

Kitty Smith said...

I'm ready for summer already, even though it is a bit early. Enjoy sleeping a little later and relaxing at the pool with the kids!

Larry said...

Good to see some things from my era are still around. I have pleasant memories of my mother taking us to the Visalia public library and returning with an armful of 5 or 6 books for summer reading. I spent many enjoyable days lying on my bed traveling through outer space at the speed of light, bravely fighting the ferocious Indians (the phrase "native Americans" was not in our lexicon), catching bad guys with my young buddies Frank and Joe Hardy, or floating lazily down the Mississippi on a raft with Tom and Huck. Good for you for giving your kids the chance to have these kinds of wonderful memories.