Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Ernie Feels Underappreciated

Ernie: Did you see my comment?

Rebecca: Which comment? On my blog?

Ernie: No, on Facebook. My comment on your status.

(here’s the Facebook exchange)

Facebook Status: Dear Pacific Northwest: You were absolutely enchanting this weekend. Thank you. Sincerely, Rebecca

Ernie’s comment: Dear Pacific Northwest: Thank you for returning my beautiful Southern Belle to me!

Rebecca: Oh yeah. I saw that.

Ernie: (clearly disappointed by my understated response) Why is it so hard to get some love and appreciation?

I want Ernie to know how much I DO love and appreciate him. So I wrote a list of all the things he did this weekend that meant the world to me.

Dear Ernie,

  1. First and foremost, I want to thank you for keeping all the kids safe this weekend.
  2. I also really want to thank you for taking care of Nigel, since poor Nigel had that horrible migraine that lasted for 3 days.
  3. I was really impressed that you baked cupcakes for Emmaline’s birthday and frosted them too.
  4. Good job on handling the missing muffin tin dilemma on your own. Seriously. You just bit the bullet and went to Walmart with 4 kids when you couldn’t find our tins anywhere.
  5. Thank you for getting me new muffin tins. The other ones were wedding gifts (11 years ago) and they were getting super gross and I wanted new tins anyways.
  6. You researched things to do in Seattle just in case I had time, because you wanted me to really enjoy myself while I was away.
  7. You texted me and told me how happy it made you that I was getting a manicure at the Dallas Airport.
  8. That text made me think about the time that you almost got arrested at the Atlanta Airport for defending my honor when that lame TSA guy was talking smack about me. That was totally awesome and that TSA guy was way out of line. Nice to think that you would get into a fist fight for me.
  9. Thank you for being such a great dad that the kids loved every minute of their time with you.
  10. Thank you for letting me sleep when I got home from my overnight flight.
  11. Thank you for tolerating my Emmaline-like temper tantrums yesterday. Seriously. It’s bad when you know you’re acting like a 6 year old.
  12. Thank you for loving me so much that your happiness is so clearly tied up in mine.
  13. Just so you know, you were the first person I wanted to tell about my trip and talking to you is my favorite thing about life.

The only thing I can think to add to this list is that I think you are amazing and wonderful and I feel beyond grateful that you love me back.

3 comments:

amyraye said...

Dear Ernie-
She raved about you the entire time (except for when she heard about the kids riding the garage door). We all love you. Thanks for sharing her with us. We look forward to having her back.

Love,
The Northwest

Liney said...

aww you guys are so cute!!!!

Kitty Smith said...

Ok, after this blog, if he wasn't my brother I'd want to marry him! You caught yourself a keeper 11 years ago! :)