Monday, February 8, 2010

Decorating for random holidays

I consider Valentine’s Day to be a random holiday- along with Halloween, Easter (the bunny and the candy part, not the Resurrection), and the Fourth of July. These are holidays that I until recently I did not choose to decorate for or really celebrate very much. Ernie and I have never really been into Valentine’s Day (since every day is Valentine’s Day in our marriage [you know I’m kidding!])- most especially since our anniversary, which is a much bigger deal to us, is just a few weeks after Valentine’s Day. But as the kids have gotten older, it’s been fun to make it fun and special for them.

Today I cleaned and decorated the house for a Valentine’s week celebration! I went to the dollar store and got some fun stuff and then shopped my house for the rest. The kids were so excited when they got home from school.

full view

 light

 

 

 

 

centerpiece

mantle

 

 

 

 

 

 

And this morning I sewed some hearts onto white flour sack dishcloths (my favorite) to use in the kitchen.

Dishtowels

Tonight we had Family Home Evening and continued with the theme of Love. The house now looks like it’s been heart attacked with doilies and scrapbook paper hearts. I’ll put those pictures up tomorrow, but for now- here’s one of the kids have a blast with scissors, paper, and tape!

FHE

4 comments:

Doreen said...

How cute! And how much fun for the kids. Tell them I love them!

Trina Barry said...

Wow, you did such a good job! I think it's so cute how kids find joy in the simpliest things.

I love using flour sac dishcloths as well, they dry things so well! My mom likes to embroider designs on them.

Sylvia said...

Chase, Isabelle, and Lilly are going to be so excited when they see all the decorations!!

Diane said...

Looks great! I used to do the same thing when the kids were little.