Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ernie and Rebecca’s Soundtrack

A song came on Pandora today that brought back a lot of memories for me of Ernie. I loved it and so of course I had to text him and tell him the song and that it made me think of him and that I loved him. Then it got me thinking about how much certain music has meant to me and to him over the years. That and food. As in we remember food that we ate in 10 years ago and we still talk about it. Food memories will have to be another post for another time, though. Here’s my brainstorm about memory music with Ernie… in no particular order of importance:

Every Little Thing She Does is Magic- The Police

This song has been a part of us since before my mission. I love it. Every time I hear it I get sentimental for Ernie.

Foo Fighters- Another Round

Ernie made me a set of mixed CDs so I could rock out in the minivan about a year ago and the first time I heard this song, I wondered if he was trying to send me a message. Here’s the first line:

“When she goes storming out, I run for cover…”

It’s a great song :)

Pretty much any song from U2’s Joshua Tree

A few years ago Ernie and I literally sat in our car in the driveway after a date and sang along to this entire album instead of going inside and relieving the babysitter. Hmmm… U2 or the kids. For a little while we clearly chose U2.

Classic Rock anyone?

The Who. Lynard Skynard. Pink Floyd. What more can I say?

Bluegrass

I am NOT a fan of country/pop music on the radio right now, but listening to Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Alison Krauss, or the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack with Ernie is a joy.

I Was Brought to My Senses- Sting

This is the song that we danced to at our wedding reception. It was perfect. Pretty much the best song in the world to describe how we both felt after 4 years of courting. And we love Sting. And it’s a beautiful song. That was a great day :)

Death Cab for Cutie and assorted Foo Fighters songs

Right now we’re in a Death Cab for Cutie phase and we super love the Foo Fighters. 

Coldplay

I realize that Coldplay is probably a controversial choice, but there are some songs that I love. Namely: “Swallowed in the Sea”, “Till Kingdom Come” and “Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love”. Our kids adore Coldplay.

Green Day- American Idiot album

Don’t judge. We love Green Day and I love this album a lot. Combine it with Jane’s Addiction and I’m a happy camper. Oooo, and if you add in some Pink Floyd to mellow it out… that’s good times. Ernie and I listen to music like this all day on Saturdays. The kids wish they could watch cartoons instead.

There’s lots more that I haven’t thought of, but I’ll say this. Ernie loves to sing and one of my favorite things about listening to music with him is that he picks out beautiful harmonies. I much prefer listening to music with him than watching TV. Really the only thing better than Ernie’s harmonies are Ernie’s harmonies when his sisters come and visit- since they have heartbreakingly beautiful voices too. Good times at the Smith house when that happens. I hope our kids are absorbing it, despite wishing they could watch TV.

6 comments:

Larry said...

When you combine "music" and "food" you get...wait for it...mood!!

stalker sarah said...

Ahhh....how I love music! What a great post! And why is Coldplay controversial? I love them! I love lots of the bands you mentioned! You're awesome! :)

Rebecca said...

Sarah- Coldplay is only controversial because there are a lot of people who don't like them. At our house, we think they're pretty great :)

Joni said...

Gadzooks. I love Death Cab for Cutie and I didn't know you did too. You should check out 'The Open Door' their newest one - it kind of reminds me of the songs on 'Transatlanticism,' which was the album that came out when Betsy was a baby & totally takes me back to that time.

Also, you should check out The National. I have a feeling you would like them.

TheMann said...

This is an awesome post. I love it. Music communicates so much. Good song/album choices by the way.

Kitty Smith said...

I love this post! I also love that you love listening to our harmonies. Now I'm homesick for my family :). I LOVE, LOVE Coldplay. I also really like Death Cab for Cutie. Thanks for turning me on to it.