Friday, February 12, 2010

What?? Snow in Mississippi?

It happened today. Everyone told us when we moved here that it snows in Mississippi maybe once every 10 years. Well, this is what we woke up to:

snow front

snow back 

I realize that this is not a lot of snow. I’ve certainly lived with much, much worse- but this small amount of snow is so unusual it shut down our whole town. People were so excited! I drove around this afternoon and I saw more snowmen in yards than I think I ever saw the whole time that we lived in Indiana. Some good friends of ours built a very well planned snow igloo today and they documented the progress on Facebook. Here’s the final igloo:

snow igloo

Isn’t that amazing? It took all of them 4 hours.

Here’s our Bogart- soaking wet and asking to come in after playing all morning outside. I think he misses the snow.

bogart snow

Just to give a little background- the average high in February in Hattiesburg is 64 and the average low is 39. It’s pretty nice. A few days ago it was in the upper 50s and Emmaline picked this out of our yard and brought it to me:

flower

It’s supposed to be in the 50s again tomorrow, so I guess it’s true what they say: If you don’t like the weather here, just wait. It’ll change tomorrow.

3 comments:

Miriam said...

hey that's us! Ross and my kids are already planning a big project for the next snow. A huge snow quarter pipe. We have had 4 snows in Anna Reese's life and only 5 in Tanner's. We shouldn't be due for another snow til 2040.

Doreen said...

Snow anywhere in the South is a big deal! It sure is pretty though. Check out my blog - I posted a picture there.

Larry said...

Great pics! Enjoy the snow but watch out for unskilled drivers--they'll slip and slide right through the intersection.