Thursday, February 18, 2010

Someone the Lord can trust

Today my dear friend’s mother died. Yesterday we spent most of our Relief Society presidency meeting discussing how to help the sisters in our ward who are facing some significant issues. And the day before that, Ernie was set apart in his new calling on the Stake High Council. It’s been a week so far that has caused me some reflection. I’m extroverted, so I like to talk things out as I’m processing ideas and feelings and I’m blessed to have good friends and a patient husband who listen and work with me through my issues. Lately I’ve been thinking that while the things that I’ve been doing as a wife and mother and daughter of Heavenly Father have sufficed up until now, it’s no longer enough. I don’t think I’m alone in feeling that I am being pushed in the direction of change. In private talks that I’ve had with friends and other women, I’m finding that other people are feeling what I’m feeling too. So I am working right now on processing the immediate things that I need to do and also on hammering out the big picture. I am trying to be more focused on the basics of the gospel, the simple, daily things that really are the things that matter most. I love the quote at the top of my blog from Julie Beck and the idea that I can get rid of the word “perfection” (since I’ll never be perfect) and instead work on “precision”. I can’t be perfect, but I can be precise.

So far, here’s my short term plan:

  • Continue with daily scripture study.
  • Regarding visiting teaching, it’s not enough to just go to lunch or say hi at basketball practice or chat in the hallway at church. There needs to be a visit with a prayer and testimonies shared.
  • With Family Home Evening, (which we have had for 3 weeks in a row!) there absolutely needs to be time to bear testimonies.
  • At every possible moment, identify the Holy Ghost with my kids and share experiences, since they will all feel it differently and they absolutely need to know how Heavenly Father communicates with them.
  • Support Ernie in his callings, whatever they may be.
  • Have family prayer every day.
  • Have companion prayer every day.

Another thought. We went as a family to the Stake President’s office when Ernie was set apart. After we got home I put the kids to bed and stayed with them for awhile to talk about the some things that had happened during the evening. I wanted them to know that I had felt the Spirit. We discussed it together and at one point I told the kids that “Daddy was someone that Heavenly Father trusted”. Emmaline said, “I know! Heavenly Father trusts all the parents in all the world!” and I was able to say, “No, He doesn’t. Heavenly Father can only trust people that keep the commandments.” I told them that we all know that Daddy isn’t perfect, but he tries hard to do what he’s supposed to. Nigel wanted to know if Heavenly Father trusted him too, and I said that of course He does! Every time we keep the commandments we show the Lord that we’re trustworthy. It was such a teachable moment with the kids, but also for me. I love the idea that we can earn the Lord’s trust and that we can become people that He can rely on. I love the concept of free agency and that Heavenly Father will always honor our agency, but that we truly are happiest when we keep His commandments and have earned His trust.

2 comments:

Trina Barry said...

I love this post! Your blog entry pretty much boils everthing down to the basics-- which is the best part of living the gospel! I too have felt that I could soar to heights I have not yet reached with my family when it comes to teaching them the gospel. Thanks for reminding us that we need to live the kind of life that earns Heavenly Father's trust.

amyraye said...

i'm sorry your friend's mother died. :( sounds like a long, emotional day. great set of basic goals.