Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Brownie Points

My Ernie likes to accumulate brownie points. He is constantly saying things like

“Did you see that I loaded the dishwasher? Can I get some brownie points for that?”

or

“Did you have fun on your girl’s night? I put all the kids to bed, can I get some brownie points for that?”

I keep asking him what are all these mythical brownie points for? Is he saving them for something? Am I supposed to owe him something? Because at this point in our marriage, he’s banked a lot of them.

We’ve never discussed any potential value to any specific chore or favor, so at this point I have no idea how many brownie points Ernie is supposed to have. All I know is that he likes to keep asking for them.

So I was thinking about our brownie point system today and wondering if I should start assigning some value to them and hand him tickets like at Chuck E. Cheese so that he can save up for the bike hanging on the wall that costs 495,000 tickets. But then I realized something this afternoon- every time Ernie asks me if he can get some brownie points, I always say “yes, of course!” and then I smile and kiss him. Really, I think he’s just in it for the smiles and the kisses.

2 comments:

amyraye said...

adorable. damon hasn't figured out that he should even be asking for brownie points. :)
we really should hang out. next time you're in the market for a move, consider seattle. :)

Trina Barry said...

Funny Amy, while I was reading Rebecca's post, I was thinking the same thing. I like this brownie point thing, Ernie seems to have figured it out!

I also think it's sweet that both of your husbands follow your blogs and comment on them, that would be a big brownie point for me!

I think I'm going to sign Aaron up, and post pretend comments from him, myself! JK

P.S.- and just so you know, Aaron does try to earn "brownie points", just in a more subtle way. ;)