Sunday, January 24, 2010

It’s hard to be 2

Max didn’t make it through sacrament meeting today. Not even close. And I started out thinking that we were going to have such a good day today.

  1. We were on time.
  2. During the opening song (which was my favorite hymn of all time: Redeemer of Israel) Max looked up at me, smiled, and touched my cheek and said, “Mommy special!” It was beyond sweet!

Then everything devolved. Max didn’t throw a temper tantrum exactly, he just simply wanted to be moving and he was bored. It didn’t help that Adam (a little boy who is also in the nursery) was sitting directly behind Max and Max kept looking at him and shouting, “NO, MY PENCIL” or “NO, MY CAR”. Even though Adam wasn’t making any attempt to take those things away from Max. So we made it to half-way through the passing of the sacrament and I had to take him out. I spent the rest of sacrament meeting in the primary room and the nursery and missed all the talks.

When I was a younger mom, days like today would really bother me. I would come home from church and feel defeated. Now, I’m just grateful to be where I’m supposed to be and thankful that my husband and children are with me- even if I can’t participate in the meeting. Plus- Relief Society always more than makes up for any loss that comes from missing the talks in sacrament meeting. And truly, the thing that resonated the most with me today was Max looking at me affectionately and saying, “Mommy special”. Moments like that make everything worth it! 

5 comments:

Larry said...

You know what jumped out at me? "When I was a younger mom". When my niece says that, I really feel old! :-)

Rebecca said...

Larry- sorry for making you feel old! It probably would have been better if I'd written "when I was slightly younger than I am now" (because happily 33 is still young).

Ernie said...

Baby, thank you for "taking one for the team" today. Max was a ton of fun today, just not at sacrament meeting.

amyraye said...

i love the evolution of motherhood, also. we learn so much with each child.

Trina Barry said...

It's amazing how your perspective DOES change as you mature and have more experiences behind you! I agree, there's so much to appreciate! We're so blessed to be mother's, even though we may find it trying at times.