Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lessons Learned

Ernie will be here in less than 2 hours. Woo-hoo! I promise, I am not normally such a mess when Ernie’s gone. Usually I am all over it, but every once in awhile I don’t do so great- apparently this was one of those times. But despite my somewhat fragile mental state, I have picked up some good lessons.

  1. After their night time shower, put the kids to bed in clean school clothes. Seriously. This one was pure genius. Especially since my kids have to be on the bus at 6:40am and they really don’t like getting up in the morning. Some mornings I have to physically dress Nigel like he is still a toddler and don’t get me started on the plague of no socks. Getting dressed for school before going to bed solves a whole host of problems.
  2. Never, ever, try to force a window closed on your mini-van. Yep, I shattered the passenger side quarter window with my bare hands and I have the cuts on my hands and wrists to prove it. Thank goodness no one got glass in their eyes!
  3. Forget trying to serve kids all the food groups. Cook only what they will eat. We still ate dinner together at the table and read scriptures and did all our normal stuff, I just avoided the waste of perfectly good vegetables and the inevitable “No Thank You Bite” fight. Pick your battles, people, pick your battles.
  4. It’s always best to find something to laugh about. I am reminded of my favorite quote from Sister Hinckley: “You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.”

So Ernie will be here soon and I’m going to store this information for the next time he goes out of town. Which I really hope is not anytime soon. 

2 comments:

amyraye said...

i totally used to sleep in my clothes for school. sadly, i was much older than your kids.

and 6:40 for the bus stop? that is complete insanity. no wonder you're so fragile.

i love marjorie hinckley. and i really love that quote.

welcome home, ernie!

Kitty Smith said...

I love reading your blog! It always makes me ready to try harder tomorrow!