Sunday, January 10, 2010

Counting Sheep

Why is it that kids never want to go to bed? Isn't bedtime one of the best things about the day? Why don't they crave uninterrupted sleep? Because I crave it. A lot. Some days I feel like I've been tired for 10 years. Oh wait, I HAVE been tired for 10 years.

So tonight was bedtime as usual, fraught with the usual drama. Except that Max hasn't been feeling well. Max usually goes to bed without a fuss, but tonight Ernie and I have both been upstairs twice to comfort him because he's been crying so pitifully at his door:

"MOOOOOMMMM...sob, sob, sob.... DAAAAADDDDD...sob, sob, sob."

You get the idea. So Ernie and I have turned into big softies and now he is down here with us, happy as a clam and crawling all over Ernie while Ernie catches up on e-mail from work. I think that Max is starting to feel a little bit proud of himself for finagling this bedtime reprieve because he's confident enough to shout, "Go Bed!" each time he thinks one of the other kids is up and about.

I think that's the reason that the youngest children get a little bit spoiled. Their parents are just too tired to put up a fight.

No comments: