Monday, January 18, 2010

A Fitting Punishment

Due to a long night with several interruptions (Max waking up crying, the cat and dog wanting to go out, the dog wanting to come back in, Nigel crawling into bed with me), I woke up feeling slightly less than refreshed. I actually didn’t even get to wake up on my own (something that is very important to me when the kids aren’t in school). Emmaline woke me up by walking into my room and telling me to wake up and fix (mend) her dress. She was talking about a Christmas dress that was on clearance, is two sizes too big, and was purchased by Grandma to hang in the closet until next year. She tried it on, tore something, and wanted me to get up and fix it right then and she got angry when I told her it could wait and that I was sleeping. She got mad and pushy and didn’t leave until I finally told her that if she didn’t leave me alone, I wouldn’t fix her dress at all! Unfortunately the damage was done at that point and I was very unwillingly awake.

Fast forward to this afternoon. After a trying trip to Hobby Lobby with 4 kids (WHY all the tempting displays of breakable items in the middle of every aisle?) to purchase materials for Ernie’s science project, I informed the kids that I needed a nap. I told them that while Max was down for his nap, I wanted them to quietly watch a movie and I was going to nap also. I stressed to them that I was cranky, tired and wouldn’t they like it so much better if I was in a better mood? They all agreed. So I laid down and within 25 minutes, just as I was drifting off, the screaming started. Let me just say, I was not happy. So I got up, dealt with the bloody nose that Ernie had given Nigel, and sent all 3 of them outside, told them not to even try to come back in the house for at least an hour, and then locked all the doors (which felt surprisingly satisfying). So I’m awake, again- and still feeling cranky. They think their punishment is harsh (because now all they want is to sit quietly and watch a movie) but I’ve decided that I like this punishment. It’s 68 degrees outside and sunny. We live on a cul-d-sac and there are bikes to ride, neighbors to play with, and woods to explore- I think they’ll survive.

Here’s hoping for an early bedtime tonight and THANK GOODNESS everyone will be back in school tomorrow!

1 comment:

amyraye said...

i think getting woken up from a nap just as you are drifting off to sleep is worse than not taking a nap at all. i hat when that happens. i'm a big believer in making my kids appreciate the sunshine though. makes for a wonderful day. i hope you got your wish for an early bedtime!