Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Various and Sundry Thoughts

It’s been a long day. Early morning, busy errands, and a Relief Society meeting that I was in charge of tonight. Today has turned out to be a day for some reflection. Here’s some of what I’ve been pondering today.

  • Per Amy: “Just because I’m happy doesn’t mean I don’t have any problems”. I agree 100%. Happiness is a choice and I love that I can make that choice. I think it’s empowering to choose to take control of your emotions, even when you can’t control the circumstances.
  • You never know what is going on in other people’s houses. It does not matter how perfect (or how imperfect) someone appears, there is always something going on.
  • Per Kitty (who lives in China and has a housekeeper named Ying): “Ying says that it doesn’t matter where people are from or what kind of house they  live in, people everywhere are all just the same”. So, so true. I wish I lived in China so that Ying could be my friend too.
  • I used to think that blogging was silly, just like I used to think that Facebook was silly. Boy was I wrong! I’ve decided that Heavenly Father must be pleased with this type of technology because it makes me feel more connected to my family. It’s kept me in touch with family members who are divided from me by oceans and continents and it’s helped me to develop relationships with family members that I never would have known any other way. And truly that’s the whole point of everything, isn’t it. Families. How amazing is that!
  • A huge part of spiritual growth is being able to refrain from judging others.
  • When it comes to Ernie, I want to follow the Platinum Rule: Treat your spouse the way they (not you) want to be treated.
  • Tonight I heard this definition of love, and I think it’s my new favorite: Love exists when the satisfaction or the security of the other person becomes as significant to you as your own satisfaction or security. 

Lots to think about. Ernie comes home tomorrow and I need him- let’s see if I can make it until he gets in at 8:15 tomorrow night! 

3 comments:

Trina Barry said...

I'm so happy for you! It's so hard to make it when the hubby goes away, especially when you have little ones that keep you busy.

amyraye said...

loved your thoughts- especially how you've changed your mind about blogging. i 100% agree. such an easy way to connect- if you choose to.

Kitty Smith said...

I really love this blog post. You learn so much about a person by their blog - both the content and the style. You are blossoming in this new found talent! Blogging suits you well.