Friday, January 22, 2010

Inspiration

To respect the privacy of my child, I will just say this:

Today I needed help with a problem. A problem with knowing how to help one of my kids.

And would you believe it? This morning I prayed about it, discussed it with Ernie, and then just went on with my day. While I was running errands I remembered that I needed to call my friend Kim to ask about something else entirely, but at the end of our brief conversation, felt compelled to blurt out this question:

“Kim, have you ever had a child that suffered with _______?”

Now Kim is my visiting teacher, but since I have only lived here for 7 months, we are still getting to know each other and her response overwhelmed me. She said, quite emphatically, “YES.”

And instead of turning left at the intersection I was sitting at- on my way to the Comcast office- I turned right and went to Kim’s house and spent a portion of my morning, talking, sharing, and learning.

Do you want to know something? I am in the Relief Society Presidency and I was there when we arranged all the visiting teaching routes and I had no idea at the time that I was being inspired to agree to assign Kim to myself. But Heavenly Father knew that I was going to need her.

So I think that there are two lessons in this for me. 1) Heavenly Father knows us all personally and puts people and resources in our path to help us. And 2) I need to focus in a little bit more on the quiet promptings of the Spirit. The loud promptings are easy to heed, but I think that growing up means fine-tuning my ability to listen to the quiet whisperings of the still small voice too.  

2 comments:

Larry said...

Thanks for sharing these tender thoughts; another blessing of the Spirit is to know we are acceptable to the Lord--not perfect but on the right track. That is very comforting.

Kitty Smith said...

I have a testimony of Visiting Teaching. I know with a profound surety, that when our leaders arrange these routes guided by the Spirit, they can lead to great things. Thanks for sharing today. I really enjoy your calm spirit.