Thursday, January 28, 2010

Start your engines!

Tonight was the Pinewood Derby. I have a love/hate relationship with this annual cub scout event.

Love

  • I love seeing all the totally awesome cars! The creativity always makes me smile.
  • I love that Big Ernie does this with Little Ernie, it’s definitely a bonding thing for them.
  • I love that it happens only once a year.

Hate

  • I really hate that Little Ernie hates not being the best. Oh the stress and the anxiety spent over this event.
  • I hate how long it takes. (I know this is silly, but running all the cars in all the heats takes way too long for my short attention span).
  • I hate how loud it is. That many adults with that many Cub Scouts, plus all the bored siblings makes for a very loud cultural hall.
  • I hate not knowing where my kids are at all times. Maybe this is paranoia on my part, but I get really stressed when I don’t have a visual on all 4 of my kids and activities like this pretty much guarantee that I will be constantly scanning, walking the halls, and not relaxing. 

In the end Little Ernie (and his dad) finished 10th out of 27 cars, which I think is great. Little Ernie was upset at first but after about 20 minutes decided that 10th place was pretty cool after all.

So here are the pictures…

testing it out

testing it out 2

Little Ernie’s car is the solid black car in the middle!

ernie's car

the line up

1 comment:

Kitty Smith said...

Good Job to both Ernies!